I found this list of beauty myths while packing some cupboard at home. Written down on fullscap paper. Very old-school. I forgot where I’d gotten this list from, but nonetheless it’s good to share!
1) You should brush your hair 100 times a day. Actually, this is more likely to make your scalp oily and cause dandruff and other hair problems.
2) Eating chocolate and french fries causes zits. No it doesn’t. I don’t know who came up with that myth. It’s genetics, excess sebum production, stress, menstruation and improper cleansing of the skin that causes zits.
3) Drink a spoonful of extra virgin olive oil every morning for smooth, even skin. You’ll just get fat in no time, even if it’s extra virgin.
4) Cut your hair during a full moon so it grows longer. Why would anyone even suggest this?
5) Pluck one grey hair and two will grow back. If only. I might as well pull off all my hair so that when they regrow, my hair volume will double.
6) Spit three times into the bath water to make yourself beautiful. Ridiculous!
7) Don’t make a face in the morning – if a rooster crows, your face will freeze that way. Yeah, like the rooster all the way from that farm in Amsterdam.
8) Clean hair should squeak. No, it’s like saying clean skin should be squeaky clean too.
9) You can shrink the pores on your face. You can only make them look smaller.
10) If you shave your legs or bikini line, the hair will grow in blacker. Any blondes want to clarify this?
11) Dry skin causes wrinkles. No, but it’s easier to get wrinkles if your skin is too dry. Age is what causes wrinkles.
12) Earrings stretch your lobes out. Only the really heavy ones do.
13) Dandruff is caused by your scalp being too dry. Yes, but there are also other reasons like Seborrheic Dermatitis and not enough brushing.
14) Rubbing a hickey with a comb will make love bites go away. I don’t think combs have magical purposes. Concealor is what makes them go away until you clean it off, that is.
15) Your hair will grow faster if you cut it more often. Different people’s hair grow at different rates. If you cut your hair too often, you’ll just have very short hair.